A-MAZE-ING JOURNEY

A few weeks ago, I took my kids to see Luray Caverns in the Shenandoah Mountains of Virginia. Luray Caverns are a spectacular natural wonder that is absolutely breathtaking and awe-inspiring to behold. Next to the entrance to the caverns is a garden maze that is made up of 1500 eight-foot high arborvitae trees that cover over an acre.

It took us nearly an hour to find all the checkpoints and then to find our way out. For my kids and me, it was an absolute blast, while at the same time, utterly frustrating. We took turns taking the lead - often leading each other to dead-ends or by landmarks that became familiar after several unintentionl passes. Sometimes we'd forget about finding the our way, and focused instead on chasing each other around, or jumping out from around turns to scare the bejeezus out of one another.

When we finally reached the end, there were high fives all around, and we congratulated ourselves on our mastery of the maze. But the pride we felt at completion pales in comparison to the memories we made being together in the maze. I'll always hold dear in my heart the sounds of laughter from my kids as I chase them through the trees, shrieks of surprise as I jump out from behind a corner, our shared excitement over finding a new landmark. And this trip through the maze is, of course, just a microcosm of life. It's not about the destination, it's about finding your way, having fun, and sharing the journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This commentary brought a tear of joy to my eye. Not only are you describing your love for your children in the present, you are also subconsciously saddened by the passage of time and them growing up. As a father of two also, I find myself having the same thoughts often. But you are right, as long as we enjoy the journey, the destination is a celebration of how we got there.