Going Full Circle

When I was a pre-teen, my prep school eased into the concept of school dances by introducing the students to Square Dancing. Before I realized how square it truly was, I honestly enjoyed it. Everone danced and had a role in ensuring the group successfully completed the routines yelled out by the caller. It was fun. It was interactive. It was.....pretty lame. I guess cowboy dances are kinda cool to a ten-year old.

How could I have known then that some years later, I'd get the same thrill dancing Rueda. 'What is Rueda?' you ask. It is a form of Salsa that is danced as a group in a circle. The steps are similar to regular Salsa, but there are two defining characteristics of Rueda. First, all the couples in the circle do the same combinations as directed by a caller. Second, in Rueda there are very frequent partner changes. Partners are passed around, or men go from woman to woman. Kind of a Salsa Mix. You may have gotten a taste of Rueda in the movie Dance with Me with Vanessa Williams (Go ahead, 'fess up. I know some of you have seen it.)

Now I'd never stop doing regular Salsa. First, there's nothing like connecting with a partner one-on-one on the dance floor. Second, dancing as a group limits individual expression, and sometimes this boy has to heat it up! Guess I like my Salsa a little picante!


Example of a Rueda Circle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dance rueda in Atlanta. It's the most fun way to dance salsa. Keep it up!