Trippin' Through Memory Lane

Isn't it sad when you see people who just can't accept their age. You know, that older guy with the comb-over and an earring. Or the older woman in the leopard-print mini. Well maybe there's a little bit of that in all of us. Let's face it. No fun getting older.

I was just reminded of that this weekend when I donned a pair of Heelys, you know the shoes with the wheels in the heels. Can't go to a mall without getting cut off by a kid cruisin' by. Actually, they seem kinda cool in an efficient sort of way. Hell, until they put people movers in the malls instead of just airports, perhaps they're the way to go. Well my kids are not immune to trends, so they both have a pair of Heelys. Now some may be suprized to know they come in Men's Size 11. Yes, but I'm sure they weren't intended for Men's Age 40.

Now, I could lie to you and say I bought the Heelys so that I could be hip Dad. But truth be told, I've had mine longer than my kids. I don't know if a 40 year old guy on a pair of Heelys is on par with the comb-over and earring, but I can attest it's a lot more dangerous.

While my nine-year old and his friend zoomed safely down my driveway into the cul-de-sac, my trip took a different route - one that began in the driveway, passed through a really clean ambulance, and ended in an operating room at Howard County General. To remember the experience, a souvenir I'll keep with me always is a metal plate and several screws holding my ankle together. (And I thought airport security was fun before.)

So as I convalesce at home, I feel a little foolish. But looking on the brighter side, although this injury is not age appropriate, at least I'm not suffering from other inflictions that are age appropriate: male pattern baldness, heart disease, ulcers.......erectile disfunction. Things could be worse.

OOOOWWWWW!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude. That sucks. I have a plate in my foot but it doesn't set off the alarms at the airport. Hope you heal up ok.