Let the Music Play

When I was a boy, my parents loved to listen to Simon and Garfunkel. I remember listening to those sweet harmonies riding in the back of my parent's Datsun station wagon. Then came the Eagles, the Beach Boys, Elton John, the Beatles, just to name a few. These were the groups that I learned to sing along with and became the foundation of my early music experience.

In 1972, my parents brought me to see the Sound of Music. It was the first time I'd seen a musical, a whole story be told in song. I loved it. Later, we watched West Side Story, South Pacific, White Chrismas, Viva Las Vegas...you name it, if it was a musical, I wanted to see it. I became a devotee to the genre - a passion that endures to today.

The gift of music is such a wonderful part of my life. I love to sing along to it, love to dance to it, love to watch it performed, love to play it on the piano. I've never really said thank you to the two people who gave me this gift, my parents, Lana and Raymond. So Mom and Papa, Thank you. Love, Your Son.

Don't they look young!

2 comments:

Confessions of a Real-Life Nutjob said...

Rock on the musical passion! I'm so lucky to go to a highschool that has an annual musical I can participate in. Even though some of them get downright silly (Seven Brides, Seven Brothers, anyone?) it's still my favorite way to communicate live.

Unknown said...

I have to admit, I share your fondness for music. Esp musicals! Unfortunately, I only have a small collection to wet my appetite. I've tried to share this passion with my children but to no avail. None of them are musically inclined. :( I tricked them one time into getting hooked on the CD of Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber and they loved it till the DVD came out and I overloaded their senses by playing it at least a gazillion times! My fault perhaps. But they refer to the musicals as "Sing-A-Longs" and will mock my attempts to enlighten them. I will continue to try.....